Wool is the textile fiber obtained from sheep and certain other animals (Wikipedia). It is natural– wool is grown from sheep, since every year sheep have new fleece, so wool is renewable every year. Wool has high natural flame resistant since it has a higher ignition threshold than many other fibers and is flame retardant up to 600º C. Also, wool has a naturally high UV protection. It is efficient in absorbing harmful UV-A and UV-B radiation.
Wool is sustainable fiber since it only takes a few years to decompose into the soil and can act as fertilizer with a high nitrogen content. It also acclimatizes to its surroundings. Wool is eco-friendly fiber. First it is non allergenic and does not create the growth of bacteria. Also, wool will able to keep your body warm in the winter and cool in summer since its natural structure make it possible to absorb and release water vapor into the atmosphere. According to Wool Studies and Resources, wool fiber can be bent 20,000 times without breaking and still strong to recover into the natural shape. So it is very durable and elastic. Besides, wool is easy care since it can be machine – washed.
Benefits of a Natural Wool Comforter
1. Regulates body temperature. It attains body temperature quickly and maintains it at comfort level. It does not have the cooling shock of polyester or synthetic.
2. Preserves natural warmth by conserving body heat. This allows you to warm quickly in cold weather and retain warmth.
3. It is naturally hypoallergenic. Resists dust mites, mold and mill dew. This is a big plus over cellulose based comforters.
4. Naturally flame retardant. Does not need the chemical laden fire retardant that is sprayed on most of polyester comforters.
5. Good for all season use. Best to just double up in severe winter and use one year long.
Washable Eco Wool from Organic Textiles LLC
In addition to the great benefits offered by regular comforter, washable wool is a step ahead as new development with these benefits.
- This wool is washable in cold water cycle or hand wash with delicate low temperature drying or hang drying. This eliminates the need for a costly dry cleaning process plus more importantly, avoids the risks associated with dry cleaning solvent (carbon tetra chloride is frequently used in dry cleaning, though lower toxicity alternatives have been developed lately). This is a big plus because toxic dry cleaning solvent residue in wool is much higher than in light weight garments.
- Washable wool is manufactured in a eco-friendly process using natural enzymes instead of harsh chemicals associated with traditional wool processing.
- This wool is free of “sheep smell” associated with traditional wool comforters.
- This comforter is softer than traditional wool comforters because the process softens the wool fiber.
Check out our comforter products here.